We recently discovered Leaping Tiger which is a location based, friend finding mobile app for gamers that is now available for iOS and Android
Leaping Tiger is a social discovery tool for gamers who want a simple way to make friends with people nearby who share similar gaming tastes, allowing users to quickly find individuals to play with, consolidate their gamertags across all platforms, and engage with the surrounding gamer community.
Some of the features that Leaping Tiger contains include:
Create a Player Profile – Members can create a player profile housing all of their gamertags, so players with similar interests have the option to connect
Check-In – Leaping Tiger lets the world know what games members are playing at that moment
Instantly Connect – After finding a potential friend, users can instantly begin chatting, making it easy for gamers to organize online play sessions and meetups with the local community
Find Local Gamers – Leaping Tiger prioritizes active members in a user’s area so gamers can locate others who share the same time zone, before searching worldwide
Save Friends – After connecting with other Leaping Tiger members, users can save their favorite profiles to make future interactions via direct message with those individuals a breeze
The Leaping Tiger founders developed the app to fulfill the need for a simple and instant way to discover local gamers, emphasizing real connections over anonymity.
“If Foursquare and Tinder had a baby, and that baby was really into gaming, that’s Leaping Tiger” Amy Potter, founder, Leaping Tiger, explains. “We have seen many social platforms move away from lengthy posts and extensive profiles, but social platforms for gamers have lagged behind. We think we are providing a product that is the evolution of the online social experience for gamers. We offer a streamlined set of tools to help the community instantly connect.”
We wanted to give the app a try for ourselves to see just how user friendly it was. It is a pretty smooth looking app that does everything that is promises to do. Very easy to use and set up. And finding other gamers was equally as easy to do. Now there are some things that are missing that I feel if included would really make this a extremely valuable resource for gamers that are looking to connect with others.
- Enhances to their social media section. If they could make the various networks clickable or even have it were we can follow others right from app to the respected accounts. Right now you can just see the names. You can’t even copy and paste them.
- Achievements – It would be awesome to have some sort of achievement system making it even more of a gamer-like experience. I am referring to getting in app achievements for things like:
- Adding your first friend, and maybe more for different segments of friends added, like every 10 friends added.
- Completing your profile set up c
- Checking into games, frequency of checking into games
- Checking in to multiple games
- What would also be interesting is if they could possible create the ability to actually link the various gaming accounts you list in your profile to the real system accounts (XboxLive, PSN, Steam etc) to show your true gamer cards from those platforms.
- The ability to share some game screen shots or gifs off to your new friends.
- And an increased gaming library. There are a few PC games that I attempted to check in for that were not listed in their library.
That would be our wish list for the perfect gaming social app. Hope they are listening 🙂